Monday, September 11, 2006

The Day Uncle Sam Got Wounded


I was doing my assignment during that time and as usual my Astro was on. Once in a while I would do channel surfing. I was rather engrossed with my assignment then but I remember Astro was stopped at channel 90.

Once in awhile I would just lift up my head and watch the report. Then I remembered seeing thick smoke coming out from the famous twin towers, the World Trade Center. At first I thought I was watching HBO or Cinemax. It took me awhile to sink in what I have just seen. Then I stopped everything and started to glue onto the TV. Not long after that, my phone started to ring. Confirmation of what I have just witnessed... It was shocking. It was horrifying. It was horrendous. I was speechless.

The date was 11th September, 2001. Today, after five years have passed, I still wonder. How could such a thing happen? Talking about civilization! I guess something is really wrong with the way the world is heading today. It is bad enough that we have to endure natural disasters such as tsunami, earthquakes and hurricanes. It is bad enough knowing that we might be wiped out abruptly by asteroids or solar storms. It is bad enough that we have to fight against diseases such as bird flu and AIDS. Despite all these, despite knowing how vulnerable we are, we still try to kill each other by plotting attacks and waging wars.

Why are we doing this? Is this God's way? Is this one of the many ways to keep universe equilibrium? I hope not. There must be a better way to control our human population than allowing such barbaric incident to happen.

No comments: