Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Surprise can...


I have dinner appointment with my APIIT frens this evening. I met them when I was pursuing my master. I don't know how, but none of them was from my batch. I got to know them through pure fate. For example, I got to know my photography guru cum APIIT fren after I joined his class (I delay that class due to unforeseen circumstances at that time) for one semester.

But they are really a bunch of good people. The six of us can click quite well. We share knowledge. We help each other through the toughest time. I must say, without their supports and constant encouragement, I might not be able to complete my dissertation so smoothly. Without their help in providing me the notes and exam tips, I might not be able to pass my exam with flying colors.

After our graduation, we still make the effort to meet up, maybe like once every 3 months. We all almost never talk to each other during this period. It is fortunate that we have the Raleigh cum photographer cum researcher lady who is very very good in arranging get together dinner. Without her I doubt the group can sustain.

So today, we have our usual meet up. We have not seen each other... well I am not sure, but at least for 6 months already I reckon. Frankly, I was a little reluctant to go at first. Maybe is the headache (I have difficulty sleeping again the night before). But I know I should go, for good old APIIT time sake.

As usual, I was late. I got the time wrong. Everyone was there. We started to chat. Since there are 4 photographers (including me.. ehm!!!), the photography topic will be the main course. Then we chatted about what's everyone is doing. I was rather shocked to hear that the Raleigh cum photographer cum researcher lady is applying for phD. Is she crazy or what? Well, I deeply respect and admire her determination. But no way I am going to endure another madness like I did while doing my master.

After about one and a half hours, I can sense that the topics are getting dry. I think it is time to go home. I can sense everyone's body language that it is time to leave. Some looking at phone’s watch. Some making stretching (me me me). Some giving plain look (I think me too).

So finally someone signaled the waitress to bring the bill. Then, out of the blue... a cake was brought to our table, and my APIIT frens started singing happy birthday song... to ME!!

What a pleasant surprised! I didn't even know they knew my birthday is coming! We all never celebrate birthday together before neither. Although they’ve kindly forgotten my age, I was happy. Although I was embarrassed that they sang birthday song in front of so many people, I was happy.

And you know what, I don't even know any of their birth dates. I feel guilty and I feel ashamed. I have to improve my skill in maintaining friendship. No choice can, must learn ok.

I think I am always lucky to have good friends around. Although I do not have many friends, but my friends are good friends!!

No comments: