Saturday, October 07, 2006

Life is unfair... Get over it

I have yet to finished the book... I do hate myself for that. Sometimes when I am a little busy with my work and my mind is occupied with some other "things", I tend to struggle with my priority list.

Anyway, every Saturday morning, besides watching my favorite cartoons in the Disney channel, I am now looking forward to watching CNN. Don't play play can...

Every Saturday morning, if we in Asia are lucky enough, CNN international might broadcast Anderson Cooper 360. Well, since reading his book, I am a total fan of him. I think his job is cool. Able to go to remote places and see first hand how people live, how people earn a living and how people survive.

This morning, there was a special edition of Anderson Cooper 360, Killing Fields: Africa's Misery, The World's Shame. The show got me glued to the tv. I must be honest that not every word or scene stuck in my head but the reports were enough to make me think.

Today's episode focuses on Congo, one of Africa's richest countries with natural resources. Despite the enormous wealth of natural resources, the country is slammed into poverty no thanks to the endless wars and corruptions.

The one particular report that struck me was when hearing most of the Congo people were earning around USD0.20 per day. Bicycle is a luxury left alone a motorcycle or a kancel. The people would build their own transport, a bicycle but motorcycle look alike. The entire bicycle is made of wood, including the wheel. The kind of stuff you would only see in the Flintstones cartoon. Riding that bicycle but motorcycle look alike must be a challenge on a dirt and stony road.

There is this other scene, whereby a soldier was laying in a small bed in a small clinic. His hand was ripped apart by gun shots. Unfortunately the clinic was so poorly equipped that no pain killer was available. The soldier kept yelling "I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die". I think we might sue the doctor if he failed to provide us with any pain killer in situation like that… don’t we?

Frankly, I am not sure why I like to watch reports like that. I don't think it will change my life. As much as I hope to go over there and see myself the situation and maybe land a helping hand, I know it is just a wishful thinking. To give up my life here is just not possible and unthinkable. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

Maybe I should appreciate life better. The pay is low and the work is stressful, but I do have a job and I do earn enough to pay my rent. I do able to slot in some entertainment once in a while. I also owned a transportation that is comfortable and reliable enough to bring me anywhere I want...

Life is indeed biased. Life is indeed unfair. Get over it?

Anyway, after the show, I have a strong urge to get myself a camcorder. I want to record my life and the people around me. Maybe I won't be able to sell it to CNN or National Geography but it is something worth exploring...

Let me save up some money first…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

insafff..huhuuh..insafff