Friday, January 27, 2006

The music prodigy




He exhibited musical abilities at an early age. By the age of 6, he was composing and performing in front of royalty and religious echelons. His works, written in almost every conceivable genre, combine luminous beauty of sound with classical grace and technical perfection. He is none other than Mozart, the prodigy everyone revered.

His full name is Johannes Chrisostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart. phew.. that was long. He was born in January 27th, 1756. If you counted correctly, today marks his birth 250 ago.

To be frank, I don't enjoy classical music that much. That was one of the reasons why I stopped playing the piano and concentrated on playing the organ. Maybe I was too young, but I just couldn't relate to the grace, the elegance, the sophistication of classical music. I was so much into pop music that time. People like Paula Abdul, Debbie Gibson, Gun and Roses, Aerosmith, Gearge Michael, etc...

Everything changes when I had the opportunity to visit Austria when I was studying in the States. It seemed like a local thing to do at that time, without thinking much I bought ticket to embrace myself to the world of classical at this very nice place, Schonbrunn Palace. I can still remember, it was snowing outside the palace and me together with a bunch of kuai poh and kuai lou sitting inside the chamber listening to the musician playing the violin score after score. And the whole night, he was playing nothing but Mozart's brilliant works.

Not sure what happened that night though, maybe it was the snow, maybe it was the palace, maybe it was the kuai poh sitting besides me... that night, I was spellbound by Mozart’s music.

Nowadays, whenever I felt pressured at my workplace, you can see me listening to the Mozart. Anyway, Happy Brithday Mr. Mozart!

No comments: