Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The island in the South

After not seeing his sisters for more than a decade, my dad finally made the decision to visit them in Singapore over the long weekend. I thought it was a heartwarming decision I thought... and to show my parents how good of a son I am, I volunteered to be their chauffeur.

The island of the South has a total area of 692.7 sq km with population approximately 4,425,720. This island was founded as a British trading colony in 1819. It joined the Malaysian Federation in 1963 but separated two years later and became independent.

Over the past 40 years or so, this island has positioned itself to be one of the wealthiest countries in this region. It is a developed country and having the strength of economy that makes all its neighbor countries see red.

Despite all the good things you hear about Singapore, I am just not very keen about this country.

When think of this country, first thing that came to my mind was the arrogant people. Other subjective include kiasu, "as if", ah beng, ah lian, money oriented, selfish... (please don't sue me for this ok, I am merely practicing my right of freedom of speech).

For one thing, does the country have a culture that she could be proud of? Singlish? Kiasu culture? I think she is just another country which has been molded to resemble its counterparts in the west. So much so that it has lost most of its charm and charisma. Sad but is true. Furthermore, with all the rules and regulations being imposed into the daily life, do you get a clean place or a happy face?

Despite that, I still think that the government did a tremendous job in making her the jewel of the orient (this is me trying to suck up, just in case, if you know what I mean...), but for now, the island remains a holiday/visit location.

Hope I'll not slap my own mouth in the future...

p.s. The island has many pretty chicks... I was not a bit but very xin dong you know...

No comments: