Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Australian Open




The Australian Open is back. I love watching tennis on tv, I must say. Watching tennis game is exciting, watching tennis game is exhilarating, watching tennis game is thrilling.

The Australian Open was known as The Australian Tennis Championship when it was first held in 1905. The women's singles tournament was added in 1922 and the competition was renamed the Australian Championships in 1927. During the Open era, this event was again renamed to the Australian Open, in 1969.

Past men winners of the Australian Open include great tennis players like Stefan Edberg, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier and more recently Roger Federer and Marat Safin. I personally love seeing Federer plays. The way he plays is just breath taking... and I have no doubt or what so ever that he will win the Championship this year.

Past women winners of the Australian Open include wonderful players like Steffi Graf, Monica Sales, Christ Evert, Martina Navratilova and most recently Justine Henin-Hardenne and Serena Williams. In the women's games, I think it is rather an open championship. I can't think of any player that is so dominant last year that she can be tipped to win the championship. Having said that, however, I personally hope that Kim Clijsters will win the championship... although I love seeing Maria Sharapova plays... (for the obvious reason laaaa)

This year we also witness the comeback of the former number 1 player, Martina Hingis. I am not too thrilled about it so I really hope she loses in the early rounds. If you wonder why I say that, well, it is because I am a big big big fan of Steffi Graf. Hingis came to the scene and later claiming the top of the ranking during a time when Graf was nursing her injuries. I still very much doubt that Hingis could be number 1 in the world if Graf was still healthy and playing... Hingis is just happened to be at the right place at the right time if you ask me...

No comments: