Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Nicol won the British Open

This morning as I flipped through the newspaper, the headline was how our nation's pride, Nicole David won the prestigious British open. Malaysia Boleh! It is not everyday that our athletes win tournaments in world meet. We should be proud.
The news has me thinking. I always enjoy playing sports. I definitely like watching sport on the tv. I played different sports in different stages of my young life. When I was young, playing guli is a sport of mine. Then I started playing badminton and table tennis. When I know how to ride the bicycle, cycling becomes my only sport. When I was in my primary school, i played basketball and soccer. I was even named as the captain of my school basketball team although I might be a few mm short of a Calvin Klein’s model... so don't play play can?

In my secondary school, I took up tennis but it was short lived as I was too bored chasing around the court for the ball. During my college years, I learn to bowl and it becomes my passion. I first bowl when I visited my brother in Boston. Apparently, he and his gang's favorite pass time was going to the Boston Bowling and bowl. And they love to bowl in the middle of the night. I must say, it was fun.
Getting my own bolwing is a big deal. I had promised myself to get a bowling of my own if I ever reached the low score of 180. When the magic number appeared in the score board, my and my brother went straight to the pro shop to get me my own ball.
Getting a bowling ball is just the beginning. I started learning hooked ball. Straight ball became so boring, so amateur, so no stlye. The learning curve for me was steep I must say. Adjusting to the lane condition was hard. Adjusting the throwing style was damn hard. Adjusting to the hooked ball is bloody hard.

I was almost given up on the sport until I went to work in Penang. Thanks to a group of bowling pig fren dog fren especially to sifu LC, I managed to get my style right. Thanks to sifu LC, I managed to get the bowling ball hooked. Thanks to sifu LC, I managed to get turkeys and baggers. That was the best memory of my bowling career.
The bowling pig fren dog fren met at least twice a week to bowl. For weekdays, we would meet in one of the malls in Bayan Baru to bowl. We played like 4 games each. On the weekend, would be our so called sport day. We have starter before the main course. For starter, we usually started with tennis, then table tennis and a dip in the pool. For the main course, will be our bowling session. The main course can be very long. 6 hours is normal to the gang.

Wah sai... 6 hours of non stop throwing the 13ib ball... hand sure tired la... I would do anything to go back to the time when I can bowl til I ki siao...

3 comments:

K Fitt said...

wah donno u such a sportsman one..play soccer summore...next time play futsal must bring u along lah...like john chung...hahahah

p/s : guli kenot consider sports lah..

exchien said...

LOL, I cant imagine if both of them playing futsal together...

exchien said...

Ya, you were once but it was long2 time ago rite?

Show your talent to me then... haha...